Theatre Chief Stage Director
Theatre Director, Ph.D. in Art History, Chief Director of the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre (NOVAT), Artistic Director of DO Drama and Opera Theatre, Stage Director of Helikon Opera Moscow Musical Theatre, Stage Director of Galina Vishnevskaya Opera Singing Centre, a teacher of acting and stage-directing of the Music Theatre Department of the Russian Institute of Theatre Arts (GITIS), a member of the Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation. An actor and vocal coach at Roman Viktyuk Theatre.
In 2006, Vyacheslav Starodubtsev graduated from GITIS (the studio of Professor Dmitry Bertmant, People’s Artist of the Russian Federation) as a musical theatre actor. In 2009, he completed a postgraduate course at GITIS (the Department of Stage Directing and Mastery of Musical Theatre Actor), defended his thesis “Teaching Acting Mastery and Opera Stage Directing”. Articles written by V. Starodubtsev were published in scientific journals.
V. Starodubtsev participated as a music consultant and director of music scenes in the making of several Russian films, in particular, “Dostoevsky” (directed by V. Khotinenko), “Kuprin. Duel” (directed by A. Malyukov), “Grigory Rasputin” (directed by A. Malyukov). Organiser and director of international art projects in Japan, India, Spain, Estonia, and Korea. The author of lectures and educational projects, such as “Open Dialogues”, “Reading Opera”, “The Unknown Tchaikovsky”, “The Censored Verdi”. Winner of the XXVIII Paradise Professional Theatrical Award of the Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation.
Author of more than 40 productions in musical and drama theatres in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, and Chelyabinsk. V. Starodubtsev staged performances at Helikon Opera Musical Theatre, Mikhailovsky Theatre, Galina Vishnevskaya Opera Singing Centre, DO Theatre, the Moscow International House of Music, Gorky Primorsky Drama Theatre, the Primorsky stage of the Mariinsky Theatre, Glinka Chelyabinsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre, and others. V. Starodubtsev has collaborated with leading opera conductors, namely, Daniel Oren, G. Rozhdestvensky, V. Ponkin, D. Yurovsky, M. Tatarnikov, E. Volynsky, A. Lubchenko, P. Smelkov, K. Durgaryan, D. Korchak, A. Karapetyan.
From 2002 to 2017, he was a soloist and Stage Director at Helikon Opera Moscow Musical Theatre under the direction of D. Bertman.
Since 2015, he has staged the following performances at the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre: the operatic quest “Turandot” by J. Puccini (2016), the fashion opera “Aida” by G. Verdi (2016), “The Queen of Spades. The Game” by P. Chaikovsky (2016), the operatic thriller “Masked Ball” by G. Verdi (2017), opera tasting “Love Potion” by G. Donizetti (2017), “The World Opera in Novosibirsk” (2017), “Christmas Oratorio” by I. Alfeev (2018), “Mozart and Salieri” by N. Rimsky-Korsakov (2018), “Francesca da Rimini” by S. Rachmaninoff (2018), “Bluebeard’s Castle” by B. Bartok (2018), and “Terem-Teremok” by I. Polsky.
Winner of the State Scholarship of the RF Ministry of Culture and the Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation.
V. Starodubtsev has received the following awards:
- Diploma of Merit “For Personal Contribution to the Cultural Development of the City” from the Moscow Department of Culture;
- Diploma of Merit “For High Professionalism, Creative Achievements in Theatrical Art and Outstanding Personal Contribution to the Development of the Musical Culture of the Primorsky Territory” from the Department of Culture of the Primorsky Territory;
- Diploma of Merit “For the Great Contribution to the Organisation and Holding of Festive Events Dedicated to the 80th Anniversary of the Novosibirsk Region” from the Ministry of Culture of the Novosibirsk Region;
- commemorative token “For Labour for the Benefit of the City” in honour of the 125th anniversary of the foundation of Novosibirsk;
- Letter of Commendation from the Mayor of Novosibirsk;
- Diploma of Merit “For High Professionalism, Achievements in Creative Work and Outstanding Contribution to the Development of Culture and Art in the Primorsky Territory” from the Legislative Assembly of the Primorsky Territory.