Theatre Chief Stage Director
Chief Stage Director
Ph. D. in Art history
Vyacheslav Starodubtsev (born 27.06.1981) is the Chief Stage Director of the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre (NOVAT), Ph. D. in Art history, Artistic Director of the opera and drama DO Theatre, Stage Director of the Moscow Helikon Opera Theatre, Stage Director of the Galina Vishnevskaya Opera Singing Centre, a teacher of acting and stage-directing at the Music Theatre Faculty of the Russian Institute of Theatre Arts (GITIS), a member of the RF Union of Theatre Workers.
In 2006, Starodubtsev graduated from the Russian Institute of Theatre Arts - GITIS (workshop of the People’s Artist of Russia, professor Dmitry Bertman) where he had trained as a theatre actor. In 2009, he completed a postgraduate course at the Russian Institute of Theatre Arts (GITIS), defended a thesis on training acting skills and stage directing opera performances. His works were published in scientific editions.
He has directed more than 70 productions at music and drama theatres of Moscow, St.-Petersburg, Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, Chelyabinsk. His works ran at the Mariinsky Theatre, Helikon Opera, the Mikhailovsky Theatre, Galina Vishnevskaya Opera Singing Centre, the International Moscow Music House, the Primorsky Academic Drama Theatre named after Gorky, Primorsky stage of the Mariinsky Theatre, Chelyabinsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre named after Glinka and other. He cooperated with world’s top conductors V. Gergiev, Daniel Oren, Roland Böer, G. Rozhdestvensky, V. Ponkin, D. Jurowski, M. Tatarnikov, M. Emelyanychev, E. Volynsky, A. Lubchenko, P. Smelkov, K. Durgaryan, D. Korchak.
As Music Director and Director of musical scenes he worked on the following Russian TV shows: Dostoevsky (directed by V. Khotinenko), Kuprin. The Duel (directed by A. Malyukov), Grigory Rasputin (directed by A. Malyukov). He arranged and directed international art projects in Japan, India, Spain, Estonia, Korea. Vyacheslav created courses of lectures and educational projects Open Dialogues, Reading the Opera, Unknown Tchaikovsky, Verdi Censored and other. He is the founder of the Theatre Avenue dedicated to most prominent cultural figures of the Novosibirsk opera and ballet theatre. He is a recipient of the XXVIII Paradis Theatre award for direction. His staging of Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera made it into the long list of the Russian national theatre award Golden Mask (2017).
In 2002 - 2017 he was a soloist and Director of the Moscow Helikon Opera Theatre under D. Bertman.
Since 2017 he has been Chief Stage Director of the Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre (NOVAT). With the theatre company he staged the following productions: operatic quest Turandot (2016), fashion opera Aida by G. Verdi (2016), opera The Queen of Spades. The Game by P. Tchaikovsky (2016), thriller opera Un Ballo in Maschera by G. Verdi (2017), opera tasting L'elisir d'amore by Donizetti (2017), the World Opera in Novosibirsk (2017), Christmas Oratorio by I. Alfeyev, Mozart and Salieri by Rimsky-Korsakov (2018), Francesca da Rimini by Rachmaninoff (2018), Bluebeard's Castle by Béla Bartók (2018), Terem-Teremok by I. Polsky (2018), Die Fledermaus by Strauss (2018), The Steadfast Tin Soldier by S. Banevich (2019), Little Red Riding Hood by C. Cui (2019), Sylva operetta by I. Kálmán (2019), Falstaff by Verdi (2020), A Yeanling Tale by A. Abramenko (2020). Arranged over 30 concerts and recitals.
- Certificate of acknowledgement by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation “For substantial contribution to the cultural development and long prolific service” 15.07.2020
- Certificate of Merit presented by the Moscow Department of Culture “For personal contribution to the cultural development of the city”
- Certificate of Merit presented by Department of Culture of the Primorsky region “for operational excellence, artistic achievements in theatre arts and substantial personal contribution into the development of musical culture in the Primorsky region”
- Certificate of Merit presented by the Ministry of Culture of the Novosibirsk Region “For substantial contribution to staging and directing cultural events dedicated to 80th anniversary of the Novosibirsk region”
- Government grant of the Ministry of Culture and the Theatre Union of the Russian Federation
- Memorial sign “For the labor in favor of the city” dedicated to 125th anniversary of the Novosibirsk city
- Letter of appreciation by the mayor of Novosibirsk
- Certificate of Merit presented by the Primorsky Territory Legislative Assembly “For operational excellence, professional achievements and substantial contribution to the development of art and culture in the Primorsky region”