Artistic Director of the Ballet
Honoured Artist of Ukraine
Denis Matvienko was born in Dnepropetrovsk (Ukraine). From 1989 to 1997 he studied in Kyiv State Choreographic School, class of Valery Parsegov. While being a student of graduation class of the school, Denis made his debut on stage of the National Opera of Ukraine in Sleeping Beauty ballet (part of Prince Désiré).
From 1997 to 2001 — soloist of the National Opera of Ukraine n.a. T. Shevchenko (Kiyv). Between 2001 and 2002 — principal dancer of the Mariinsky Theatre. During only one season Denis performed numerous parts in such productions as La Sylphide (James), Le Corsaire (Ali), Don Quixote (Basil), Jewels (“Emeralds”), Theme and Variations. He was the first performer of Prince’s part in Cinderella ballet choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky (2002). From 2003 to 2007 — principal dancer of the National Opera of Ukraine. From 2007 to 2009 — principal dancer of the Mikhailovsky Theatre.
Denis participates as a guest soloist in such theatres as New National Theatre in Tokyo, Bolshoi Theatre, Teatro alla Scala in Milan, Paris Opera, American Ballet Theatre (ABT). Since 2009 — principal dancer of the Mariinsky Theatre. From 2011 to 2013 — artistic director of the National Opera of Ukraine’s Ballet Company.
- Laureate of IV International contest of ballet artists in Luxemburg (Grand prix, 1997)
- Laureate of III International contest of ballet artists n.a. Rudolph Nureyev in Budapest (Grand prix, 1998)
- Laureate of III International contest of modern and classical choreography (Gold medal and award of Vaslav Nijinsky, Nagoya, Japan, 1999)
- Laureate of X International contest of ballet dancers and choreographers in Moscow (Grand prix, Moscow, 2005)
- "Soul of the Dance" award in "Star" nomination (2008)
- Awarded with Ministry of Culture of Tatarstan Republic "For Cultural Achievements" award pin
- Laureate of "DANCE OPEN" International ballet award in nomination "Best duet" (2011)