Director of the Ballet
Honored Artist of Ukraine
Denis was born in Dnepropetrovsk (Ukraine), studied at Kyiv Choreographic College. On the final year he made his stage debut at the National Opera House of Ukraine as Prince Désiré in The Sleeping Beauty ballet.
In 1997 - 2001 he was a soloist with Taras Shevchenko National Opera and Ballet Theatre of Ukraine (Kyiv). In 2001-2002 he was a leading soloist with the Mariinsky Ballet. He also was the first performer of the Prince part in Alexey Ratmansky’s Cinderella (2002). In 2003-2007 he was a principal dancer with the National Opera of Ukraine. In 2007-2009 he was a principal dancer with the Mikhailovsky theatre.
As guest soloist he danced at the following theatres: the New National Theatre in Tokyo, the Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, Teatro alla Scala in Milan, Paris Opera, American Ballet Theatre. Since 2009 he has been a principal dancer with the Mariinsky Ballet. In 2011 – 2013 he was Artistic Director of the ballet company of the National Opera of Ukraine.
He won quite a few prestigious international awards and became the first performer in ballet history, who awarded four grand prix at international competitions.
Since June 2016 he has been holding the position of Artistic Director of NOVAT Ballet Company.
- Spartacus. Spartacus by Khachaturyan (Kovtun’s choreography)
- Crassus. Spartacus by Khachaturyan (Grigorovich’s choreography))
- Prince Désiré. The Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikovsky (Duato’s choreography)
- Siegfried. Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky (choreography by Petipa, Ivanov, revised by Sergeev)
- Basilio. Espada. Don Quixote by Minkus (choreography by Petipa, Gorsky)
- Count. Giselle ou les Wilis by Adam (choreography by Perrot, Coralli, Petipa revised by Dolgushin)
- Ali. Le Corsaire by Adam (choreography by Perrot, Petipa, Gusev revised by Ruzimatov)
- Nutcracker-Prince. The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky (choreography by Vainonen)
- Peer Gynt. Peer Gynt to music by Grieg (choreography by Clug)
- Soloist. Ssss… (choreography by Clug)
- Romeo. Radio and Juliet (choreography by Clug)
- V International Ballet Competition in Luxembourg (1997, Grand Prix)
- III Rudolf Nureyev International Ballet Competition in Budapest (1998, Grand Prix)
- III International Competition of Modern and Classical Dance in Nagoya (1999, Gold Medal and Vaclav Nijinsky Prize)
- X International Ballet Competition in Moscow (2005, Grand Prix)
- The Soul of Dance award in the category Star (2008)
- Awarded with the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tatarstan’s lapel badge
- International ballet prize DANCE OPEN in the category Best Duet (2011)
- The Soul of Dance award in the category Master of Dance (2019)